PACC launched its economic development initiative in 1997 with the mission of creating vibrant commercial corridors and sustainable businesses. We are empowering residents, local business owners and entrepreneurs to increase their economic resources by providing information, resources, referrals and training. Our Economic Development department works closely with local Merchants Associations, elected officials and community organizations in Central Brooklyn.
Our current work is focused on revitalizing the Fulton Street commercial corridor in the neighborhoods of Fort Greene, Clinton Hill, Prospect Heights and Bedford Stuyvesant to ensure that it fully reflects the pride and diversity of the community. In addition to this revitalization work, we also helped form the Fulton Street Business Merchant's Association
, and continue to develop commercial spaces and identify and recruit quality businesses.
Our current Economic Development priorities include spearheading the Fulton Street Business Improvement District (BID) and serving as the Local Program Administrator (LPA) of the Main Street Program, which focuses on improving a seven-block stretch of Fulton Street between Grand and Bedford Avenues.
A Business Improvement District (BID) is a public/private partnership in which property and business owners elect to make a collective contribution to the maintenance, development, and promotion of their commercial district. The Fulton Area Business (FAB) Alliance
was signed into law in December 2008 and began operations in October 2009; The BID extends from Rockwell Place to Classon Avenue and all
streets facing Fulton Street (e.g. Lafayette, Greene and Putnam
Avenues). It promises to make powerful and sustainable improvements in Fort Greene and Clinton Hill.
Along with supporting the BID, PACC brings valuable resources to the community as the LPA for the Main Street Program, under the auspices of NYS Division of Housing and Community Renewal. Main Street funds will be invested into facades, storefronts, apartment units, and streetscape improvements along Fulton Street. In total, our revitalization work will oversee the infusion of nearly $250,000 into Fulton Street in the next two years.
In order to accomplish our Economic Development goals, we work with
• Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Corporation (BSRC)
• Bridge Street Development Corporation (BSDC)
• Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce
• Brooklyn Community Foundation
• Brooklyn Economic Development Corporation (BEDC)
• Business Outreach Center Network (BOC)
• Capital One Bank
• Coalition for the Improvement of Bedford Stuyvesant (CIBS)
• Fulton Area Business (FAB) Alliance
• Lawyers Alliance for New York
• Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC)
• Mayor’s Office of Comprehensive Neighborhood Economic Development (CNED)
• Myrtle Avenue Revitalization Project (MARP)
• NYC Business Solutions
• NYC College of Technology Small Business Development Center
• NYC Department of Small Business Services (SBS)
• NYS Housing Community and Renewal (HCR)
• Project Enterprise
• St Joseph’s College Small Business Outreach Center
• Stroock & Stroock & Lavan
• Washington Avenue/Prospect Heights Merchants Association (WAPHA)
• Workshop in Business Opportunities
For information about Economic Development Services, please contact Dale Charles at 347-823-5700 x 111